Federation Cooperative was started in
1929. At that time, the cooperative began with three employees and
provided bulk petroleum and a service station to farmers in Black
River Falls and Jackson County.
In 1963, the downtown location was
purchased and the hardware store, convenience store and automotive
department were opened. A year later, the first bulk fertilizer
warehouse was built. The Black River Crossing Travel Center opened
in 1973, and the 4 Seasons Quik Stop was purchased in 1997 along
with a full service car wash.
Federation Cooperative opened the Cranberry Supply in Warrens in
2003. The Transport Division became Federation Trucking, LLC in
In June 2012, the patrons voted to merge Federation Cooperative with
Hixton Fairchild Farmers Coop. With this came the Cheese Hut,
Northfield Town Mart, Double T Quik Stop, and Fairchild C-Store.
This merger became effective October 1, 2012, retaining the name
In partnership with CHS, Federation Cooperative built a propane
terminal in 2014. Then in 2015, the new fertilizer plant was
completed. Both of these services are located in Hixton.